Great Chalfield Manor & Garden, near Melksham, National Trust
Great Chalfield manor and Garden was given to the National Trust in 1943.
History - Great Chalfield Manor and Gardens The moated Manor House was built around 1465 and fully restored in 1905. The gardens were designed by Alfred Parsons RA, PRWS in 1905-1912 with an Arts and Crafts influence. The Garden layout is comparable to Great Dixter in Sussex with similar hard landscaping.
What to see at Great Chalfield
- Patsy Floyd and her team have made excellent progress in in the garden, which can now be considered one of the best in Wiltshire.
- The gardens surround the property and at the back lead down to a spring fed moat and fishpond.
- There are some very colourful borders in many parts of the garden and you will also notice the unusual Yew Topiary pavilions in the form of houses - but without windows.
- Autumn borders extend the season into October.
- The orchard leading down to the lower moat is kept for wild flowers and overall the garden has a calming romantic atmosphere.
- In February the gardens have an open day for snowdrops and hellebores
- There are guided tours of the historic Manor House which are well worth doing.
- All Saints' Church, close to the front of the house, is a small church dating from the 14th century and is normally open.
Great Chalfield - Drama, TV, Film location
- Tess of the D'Urbervilles
- Wolf Hall
- Wives and Daughters
Great Chalfield Manor - National Trust Opening Times - see latest information by visiting website.
Wheelchair access to the garden is possible on two levels to avoid flights of steps. Partial disabled access in the house in Hall & Dining Room only, a photo album of upper rooms is available
Snowdrops - normally open for charity February - check website for details
When is the best time to visit?
There is something to see in every season from April to October
Is Great Chalfield National Trust?
Yes - entrance is free to members
Are dogs allowed?
Dogs are not allowed in the grounds
- Telephone: 01225 782239
- Street: Great Chalfield Manor
- Postcode: SN12 8NH
- City: Melksham
- County: Wiltshire
- Country: United Kingdom
HOTELS AND PLACES TO STAY NEAR TO GARDEN
If you want to take a break near Great Chalfield Manor and Gardens why not stay in one of our recommended hotels. Each hotel has genuine guest reviews enabling you to book from anywhere in the world in total confidence. Look now for hotels near Great chalfield Manor