Benmore Botanic Garden, near Dunoon
The mountain-side Benmore Botanic Garden is under the direction of the Edinburgh Royal Botanic Garden.
- Benmore Botanic Garden on the West Coast of Scotland is one of the finest gardens in Britain.
- The Garden has probably the finest avenue of Giant Redwoods in the country.
- There are fine collections of rhododendrons and magnolias which are well suited to the mild and damp climate on the West Coast of Scotland, but you often have sunny days and high temperatures which helps the plants.
- Many of the plants here were introduced by famous plant hunters like Ernest Wilson and David Douglas who were sponsored by the gardens owner - the Younger family.
- See brilliant displays of Meconopsis.
- Plenty to see including Bhutanese Glade and Chilean Glade, pond and fine viewpoint.
Some of the walks are along the edge of the hills on gravel paths and over bridges which give a real atmosphere of how the plants would be in their natural environment.
- Another of the features is the fernery which has been completely restored.
This is a magnificent garden and one of our favourites in the British Isle, it should not be missed.
Benmore Botanic Garden Opening Times 2021 - see latest information by visiting website. Refreshments, shop.
Is Benmore Garden dog friendly?
If you have a dog then you will delighted to know that this garden is dog friendly - on leads.
When is the best time to visit Benmore Garden?
We would recommend between April and June
Where can I stay near Benmore?
We list places to stay, hotels, guest houses and cottages.
- Street: Benmore Botanic Garden
- Postcode: PA23 8QU
- City: Dunoon
- County: Argyll and Bute
- Telephone: 01369 706261
HOTELS AND PLACES TO STAY NEAR TO GARDEN
If you want to take a break near Benmore Botanic Gardens, why not stay in one of our recommended hotels. Look now for hotels near Benmore - click here.