Buscot Park and Gardens, near Lechlade
To enjoy Buscot Park to the full, you should take time to explore the extensive gardens that surround this late 18th century house.
Location - Buscot Park Gardens are situated in outstanding countryside near Lechlade on the edge of the Cotswolds and near to the River Thames.
History of Buscot Park Gardens - Buscot House was built around 1780 in a neo classical Italian style. The grounds comprised woodland walks, 3 ornamental lakes and pleasure grounds.
What to see in Buscot Park Gardens
- 4 Seasons Walled Garden - To the west, mellow red brick walls shelter a garden for all seasons ( 4 Seasons Garden ), spring bulbs, flowering trees, climbing roses and drifts of multi coloured day lilies as well as fruit and interplanted with vegetables.
- Double herbaceous borders- with brilliant displays of roses, delphiniums and other perennials.
- Water Garden - To the east, woodland walks lead to one of England's finest water gardens designed by Harold Peto and installed in 1904, an unusual marriage of Italian formality in an English landscape. Canals with bridges and pools lead you down to a large lake.
- Faux Fall - by David Harber. A contemporary water cascade leading down to the 4 Seasons Garden.
- Lake - There are 3 ornamental lakes, the largest one being at the end of Peto's water garden. One of the lakes is set aside for anglers.
- Swinging Rose Garden - In semi shade amongst the woodland walks is a beautiful white garden with swing chairs where you can rest a while.
- The historic house is also well worth visiting with a notable art collection, so make sure you visit when it is open.
Buscot Park is a favourite of the Editor!
2020 National Trust. Buscot House and gardens
What are the opening times?
Opening from 1 April - See website for details.
Tearoom, Picnic area, No dogs, access limited for wheelchair users.
Free entrance National Trust members.
Where can we stay near Buscot Park?
We list places to stay nearby with visitor reviews.
Are there other Gardens nearby?
See our Oxfordshire page for more beautiful gardens.
FREE - Visit this National Trust Property and others for free by becoming a member - click here
- Street: Buscot Park
- Postcode: SN7 8BU
- City: Faringdon
- County: Oxfordshire
- Country: United Kingdom
- Telephone: 01367 240786
HOTELS AND PLACES TO STAY NEAR TO GARDEN
If you want to find places to stay near Buscot Park and Gardens, why not stay in one of our recommended hotels. Look now for Hotels near Buscot Park