Hergest Croft Gardens
Hergest Croft is unusual in having been gardened continuously by four generations of the Banks family over the past 120 years
History of Hergest Croft Gardens
The gardens have a history going back 120 years to William Hartland Banks (1867-1930) was a banker, traveller, photographer, gardener and passionate plantsman and his with wife Dorothy. They built Hergest Croft in 1895 and laid out the garden which was much influenced by the writings of William Robinson.
The gardens cover more than 70 acres in the Welsh Marches, with spectacular views to the Black Mountains.
- Hergest Croft has more than 5,000 rare trees and shrubs, holds the National Collections of maples and birches as well as over 90 'champion trees', plus an impressive collection of azaleas.
- Maple Grove in the Arboretum contains many new plants, introduced from all over the world. (When is the best time to visit? beautiful in Autumn)
- Park Wood a secluded valley has over 30 acres of giant rhododendrons and exotic trees creates a positively Himalayan scene. (best time o visit April to early June)
- Unusual vegetables are grown in the Kitchen Garden, alongside an avenue of ancient apple trees.The garden here also includes herbaceous borders, lavender, roses and wild flower areas. (best May to September)
- More formal gardens, including roses, irises, herbaceous borders and a rockery surround the Arts & Crafts house (not open).
When is the best time to visit Hergest Croft Garden?
This is a garden for all seasons, from spring blossom to spectacular autumn colour.
Disabled access, sales of rare and unusual plants, tea rooms and gift shop.
The Gardens at Hergest Croft Opening Times- see latest information by visiting website.
- Telephone: 01544 230160
- Street: Hergest Croft Gardens
- Postcode: HR5 3EG
- City: Kington
- County: Herefordshire
- Country: United Kingdom
HOTELS AND PLACES TO STAY NEAR TO GARDEN
If you want to take a break near Hergest Croft Gardens, why not stay in one of our recommended hotels. . Look now - click here.